Table of Contents
VE7SCK Update 8
There's a lot going on with VE7SCK at the moment and we'll use this post to keep you up-to-date. First of all, recall that:
- Over a year ago, we installed the VE7SCK at the Fire Hall in Roberts Creek. The antenna was very low so the coverage was very minimal. But it helped us get a foot in the door for when the new tower is installed.
- A few weeks later, we changed to tone to match VE7RXZ and updated the coordination information.
- Here are some pictures of the current install.
Update from June 24, 2021:
- Today Don from Island Communications was over to switch the firehall equipment over to the new tower and he terminated our coax and added a polyphaser.
- I also brought LMR-400 cable and N-connectors and Don made patchcords for us to replace the old repeater patch cords.
- The repeater is now fully operational and we encourage people to try it so we can get a sense of its coverage (specially if you're mobile on the highway).
- The next step is to link it to the VE7RXZ in Nanaimo.
Update from April 18, 2021:
- Our antennas are up and the coax is run to the radio room, but not terminated. Don from Island Communications will come over in a month or so to do the connection. We can't do it ourselves because it's LMR600.
Update from Mar 25, 2021:
- Looks like they started installing Firehall antennas. There's two VHF antennas and one 800MHz Yagi.
- Ours are not up yet.
Update from Mar 05, 2021:
- Tower is up!
Update from Feb 09, 2021:
- Looks like the Telus radio room is on the foundation.
Update from Jan 31, 2021:
- Looks like they've poured the concrete foundation for the new tower.
Update from Jan 3, 2021:
- I haven't heard any official news but it looks like they're starting to clear up the area around the existing tower.
Update from Nov 27, 2020:
- Good news! TELUS has approved the antennas on the tower. The plan changed a little bit (for the better) and it's to have the UHF repeater antenna at 35m (115ft) and VHF yagi at 25m (82ft).
- No news yet on when this will all happen.
- In the meantime, Robert and Patrick will start working on linking VE7SCK to VE7RXZ (which we can do with the existing setup).
Update from Nov 21, 2020:
- Recently, the new TELUS tower was approved, and
- We started working with the engineer to submit a proposal to TELUS to have our antenna moved to the up-coming tower.
- Today, our club approved the purchase of a Comprod 4-bay colinear folded dipole antenna (contingent on TELUS approval), and the immediate purchase of equipment to link VE7SCK to VE7RXZ.
- Members can look at the full details in the minutes.